Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

Project: Noise Pollution

edited May 2013 in Projects
OI!

Here is the most recent image of my '76 CB750F Project, appropriately named: Noise Pollution.

So its time I post up a build thread of my CB750F.

Life for this bike wasn't always so hot; the previous owner slid the bike into the ditch and someone, whether it was him or prior to this guy, they completely slaughtered the wiring. I purchased the CB for $400 from the guy and immediately got started on the unfucking. I wired in a fuse block from a CB550 and the reg/recitifier from it too. The rectifier was getting super hot and the wires were getting all melty, haha. The CB has changed several times until this last winter when I got started on the body work and putting the spoke wheels back on with a 4.25" Harley DNA rear rim, new rubber, shaving the triple and frame, as well as making a muffler.

Currently the bike is in a primer state and ready for paint. I have plans to update the brakes, build a new oil tank, toss my Mikunis on and rewire the whole bike with Weatherpack connectors.

Comments

• The ol' girl was pretty rough when I picked it up:

She took on several different changes over the last few years:

The knee dents were added a while back and I rode it looking like this for a while, haha

And this spring I finished up all the body work (made seat from fiberglass), wheels, frame work and front end repairs. She is all ready for paint and the modifications I mentioned in my first post.

The wheel is a Harley DNA 4.25" rim laced to the factory F hub.

The seat started out as blocks of green foam and slowly got shaved down until it was ready for coating with sheetrock mud then with fiberglass to make the mold. Layers and layers of glass were added to the seat's underside until it was ready for long-strand and mud, then finally a coat of sealant and voila.

^ The shocks have changed since this picture to something that isn't quite so low. Having the bike lowered that much in the rear really threw off the handling and rates with the rake being so poor.

There are a ton more details on the build up until fall of 2012 here:
    http://mishiftgarage-caferacer.blogspot.com/

I have not updated the blog since then due to another project designing a website for the projects that come out of the garage.
  • I finally got around to a good photoshoot in fall of 2012 so here are some of those images:

There are some pretty substantial changes that are happening with the ol' girl in the last few months. I'll post updates as I go.
  • love to watch the evolution of this bike. Great work!
  • The CB is receiving some pretty serious attention these days. The frame is currently stripped and getting shaved. I'm building the oil tank into the rear section of the frame and finishing up welds that Honda did a poor job of. The headlight bucket will house a new H4 glass headlight with an LED 194 bulb as a DRL and an 6k HID as the main headlight bulb. The ballast will be built into the lower portion of the headlight bucket.
    The wiring is completely redone with fresh wire, new relays and fuse block. Almost every connection is done using weatherpack connectors. It's been rewired very minimalistic.
    CNC'd rear sets with knurled pegs and adjustable levers are on the way from France.
    New tapered roller bearings are on the way to replace the old ball bearings in the neck.
    A new Rick's solid state Regulator/Rectifier is being installed.
    Mikuni VM34 carbs are replacing the bank of shitty Keihin stockers. Custom 2-1 intake manifolds were fabricated for these carbs.
    And lastly, the brakes, these are a work in progress but will be done at some point in the coming months;
    A Ducati Supersport 320mm rotor is on the way, CBR600RR front and rear master cylinders and BMW K100RS Brembo calipers are in my possession. These components should make up for the dismall stock brakes (single piston, stainless rotors and stupid soft rubber lines).
  • Images will be added soon. Flickr is being a bitch and making it impossible to find a goddamn link for images.
  • sounds fucking awesome!!!
    Fresh wiring!

Frame and exhaust are ready for sand blasting.

Sexy Brembos

Ducati Super Sport Rotor

And a shitty image of what the rear sets look like that are on the way
  • This weekend the frame and swing arm should be getting primed, seam sealed and painted with POR15 Hardnose. I need to wrap up the rear master cylinder setup. The foot peg pulls a cable which goes under the bike and actuates a basic cam to depress the Nissin master cylinder. So the rear brake system is actually a blend of cable and hydraulic to keep it visually clean and simple but hidden beneath is a Sport Bike 5/8th" master cylinder. So more than enough braking power.

Other big things happening soon will be integrating the HID ballast into the headlight bucket, building a very subtle switch panel then engine work.

I will have to add some pictures soon here
  • Here is an update:

Built a filler neck and used the stock oil tank cap:

The neck is a part of the oil tank that I built into the frame. I'm excited to have a clean, open looking frame now:

Wrapped up the sand blasting, cleaned her up and strung for painting:

Epoxy Primer:

As of right now the frame is curing and soon the hardnose paint will be laid on then the fun part starts of reassembly.
  • looking good!
  • Thanks man. Been busting my ass to get this thing ready for the good weather. It will be in full paint soon enough.
  • Bike looked tits before you tore it apart again so i can only assume it will be super tits once back together. Was looking at building one this winter but then I became distracted and bought my Model A. Oh well, there's always next winter.
  • I can't wait until I can build things again...being in school/employment limbo sucks. This is going to be so bad ass though.
  • Love your CB750!
    Any new pics after reassembled and painted?
  • updates......