Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

'87 Toyota unTurbo 4.3Runner

edited September 2013 in Projects
Most of you guys know, or know of, my 4.3Runner, as it's been a project I've been working on for quite awhile. So I'm just going to do a mod-list, and a bunch of pictures to start this thread off....

Started as an '87 4Runner SR5 Turbo (which were only available with an auto). It had been run out of oil before I got it, so engine swaps happened. First a non-turbo 22RE which had been cared for even worse than the 22RTE, which lasted 1k miles before popping a head gasket.

Now:
92 Chevy S10 Blazer Central Port Injected 4.3 V6 and 4L60 Auto trans
Advance Adapters adapter to Toyota gear-drive transfer case
2" 4Crawler body lift and motor mount spacers
Advance Adapters bolt-on motor mount adapters
Budbuilt Tcase crossmember and skidplate designed for the 2" drivetrain lift
Gas tank remounted on the driver's side, and lifted 2"
Smittybuilt front bumper
4xInnovations rear bumper with Class III receiver hitch, also designed for the 2" body lift
2" leaf spring blocks on stock springs (probably sagged at least an inch)
Extra tension in the front torsion bars
Pilot H4 headlight conversion housings
Monroe Gas Magnum rear shocks mounted at an angle for more effective travel
35x12.5r15 Cooper Discoverer STT tires
'82 Supra rear LSD in the front
Flowmaster Delta 40 Muffler

I have a '95 Land Cruiser rear axle to go in it (disc brakes, full-float hubs, electric locker), but I need to switch to 16" wheels (I have...just need tires) in order to run. I also have 3" lift Skyjacker leaf springs that will go in at the same time.

Early pic of it (just after painting the wheels)

22RTE out

22RE in

donor truck 2 gives up the goods

early test-fit

trans temp gauge in place of the altimeter

FJ80 rear axle

Elocker

Switches!!

wiring

making hood clearance

front LSD install

Custom power steering line with chevy fittings on one end and toyota on the other

Stupid old bumper

Awesome new bumper

Shocks mounted

Cowl Hood

OE '98 4Runner 16s

USB cable:

Tunerpro

Comments

• Things I've noticed since using TunerPro...

The VSS calibration is wrong (I just hooked the signal wire from the speed sensor in the toyota gauge cluster to the chevy ECU). The ECU thinks I'm going about twice as fast as the gauge....so that'll have to be addressed.

Then, I went out to the truck to come home from work yesterday, and it wouldn't start. TunerPro didn't have anything helpful to say. O2 signal confirmed my suspicion that the injector wasn't firing when this happens, but I couldn't find anything to point to why.

So I went inside and grabbed our loaner fuel pressure tester, and hooked it up. 45psi, and holding when the pump was off. This is not enough to open the poppet valves in the injector. Cycled the pump a few times, then it suddenly jumped up to 55psi, and the truck fired right up.

So I bought a new fuel pump. The old one was a universal inline one I got on Summit Racing that's rated for 65psi, which I mounted in-tank. When I took it out yesterday, I found that the strainer setup that I made had fallen off the pump, and there was debris in the pump.

New pump, designed for the blazer, rated for 90 psi, and it's matching wiring harness and strainer, mounted up to the Toyota bracket

Hopefully that takes care of my running issues. Pulled it into the shelter today to bedline the bottom half of the body.
  • Well, it was hiding in my "garage" for a few days, to try to keep dry while the bedliner dried....

But it's out now, and better than ever. I'm pretty unimpressed with the "Edge Lock" of the masking tape I used....but whatever. It's a functional paint job.

I also added a couple radios:

And thanks to 4Crawler's website for the idea about moving the LR handle to the LF for assistance getting in and out (threaded holes are already there), and putting mag light mounts in it's place
  • good progress! can't wait to see it wheel
  • I like the maglite holder, Is it a re chargable model or you just using it to store dead batteries?
  • gimmefuel" said:
    I like the maglite holder, Is it a re chargable model or you just using it to store dead batteries?
    It is just a dead battery holder now. But it's an LED one, these batteries are easily 3 years old
  • Such an awesome build! I loved my 4.3L S10, tons of torque and ran so damn well
  • Jake" said:
    ran so damn well

Hmmm......about that part. This thing has left me on the side of the road more times than not.

But, I have to remind myself that I've still probably saved $2k over a comparable Toyota swap (3.4 V6 or 4.0 V8).

I ordered new tires tonight. GoodYear Wrangler DuraTracs, 315/75r16. I've owned 16 cars, that each cost less than these did (hell, pick 3 or 4 of them combined....still probably less). Discount tire direct FTW. Free shipping, and $160 in mail-in-rebates!
  • Wow sorry to hear that man. I'm sure you will iron it all out and it will run solid as hell. Is it the old mechanical spider injection or the newer electric style?
  • Shoulda just done an LS swap...

Did you sell the other tires?,
  • Grayguy" said:
    Shoulda just done an LS swap...

Did you sell the other tires?,

LS.....lol. no

Yea, as soon as I get the truck back to town, Randy is going to pick them up.

Brown santa showed up today:

Next to the wheels they'll be going on and stock-sized tires:
  • better than the real santa... lol
  • Well....I had to pay for these. But still pretty awesome.

Got 2 of them mounted tonight:
  • Boosted Coops" said:
    better than the real santa... lol
    brown santa=best santa haha
  • Is brown Santa the illegal immigrant that delivered those? Haha
  • Old update. Couple pictures from that wheeling weekend...

Put the new tires on it while it was on the trailer:

Today, I finally got out there to do some more work on it. Put a new disty in it (found paint pen writing on the old one....junkyard...). It seems to run much better. I drove it around Izzy's yard for about a half hour or so, trying to find shit to drive on.

Should be able to bring it home this week, and then take it wheeling within the next couple weeks.