Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

Resto-mod Z

BenBen
edited April 2014 in Projects
Well as most of you know I bought the Z back. Here is the tread on the paint job and soon to be(this fall) engine build for it. Here are the pics of the progress up to this point.
Last week:
This week: I did find a little rust and a bunch of 30 some year old crash repairs. I have ordered new rear fender/wheel wells and some other patch panels.
Took the fenders off. Going to be re undercoating underneath them and fixing a little rust. Also can properly spray the jambs as well
Damn rust!

At this point I got it down to the base color/metal and now the metal work starts. I am hoping to have it repainted mid june or so.

Comments

• So happy to see this car getting done right. Keep us posted!
  • Well hats off to you my friend for taking good care of it. I dont think I have ever seen that thing run that good. Shit my dads Z doesnt run that well! I just sold the diesel so more Z parts!
  • that four-barrel doesn't seem so bad now, after those years of shit ya gave me haha.
  • meh...its still a holley. It will be getting a pair of webers til I can locate some Mikunis.
  • Got the windshield pulled today. Got the rear quarters cut off last night. Ended up having to replace the rear right wheel tub with the outside fender. Sand blasting under the front fenders and where I cut the rear quarters out on Sat. Applying POR15 to all of the inside areas and then going to under coat the area under the front fenders. Project is moving along nicely. I will get some pics up soon.
  • Well there is the last few weeks of progress...
    Windows, fenders and trim off/
    Quarters cut out

Rear deck plate was rotted:

Hand fabbed the replacement panels:

Ended up finding a shit load of rot under the drivers door sil and have to cut a chunk of that out.
    Ended up having to replace both rockers, rear inner fender wells and rear quarters. This week marked the tipping point as we start putting it back together this week. Here is the metal:
  • Ben:

Good to see you bringing that beast back to its original glory. Now dump a SBC in that bad boy. The shiznit fo sho!
  • There will never be a SBC in this car, or any other engine from GM, except for an LS. And even that is a very slim chance.
  • Very nice!
    Go with a 5.3 chevy truck motor w/t56 and twin turbo the slutty whore..
  • If you were to do an LS... Just keep the motor pretty stock with just bolt on parts. Don't turbo it or do anything crazy like that. It would get awesome mpg plus have plenty of power for that light of a chassis.
  • or leave the factory straight six in there...
  • I am not going to do an LS swap. 3.0 L6 is the plan. Only other 2 options with be an RB swap or a 280zx turbo swap.
  • Great work man! The idea of a stroked L6 is pretty Badass! I'm assuming to achieve a 3L you gotta stroke out the 2.8 block?
  • Yes. You use the 81-83 turbo L series block and a modded crank. To get higher then a 3.0 you have to pull the crank from an L series diesel(found in early 80's maximas) and use 9mm L24 rods and KA24 pistons. I am slowly being talked into an RB swap by a coworker. I have been reading up on the streetabilty driving of a big carb'd L-series stroker(44/45mm webber/mikuni carbs) and found it is not very fun to drive under normal driving conditiuons. You can switch over to FI in the L-series as well, but if I am going FI I will be rocking a turbo. RB will be a little more expensive, but I think it might be more in my liking. IDK, we will see. I need to get the bitch painted first, and then I will think about motor options.