Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

74 CB550 Cafe Racer

edited June 2013 in Projects
This has been an ongoing project for too long. But now, with my new garage built I should get this project back underway and will get some progress soon.

Comments

• Lets see some pics and specs on this beast!
  • It's a 1974 CB550 that I got as a college grad present from my father in law. When he gave it to me, it had sat for the previous 9yrs under a crappy tarp in his grove. It had a full fairing, rusted exhaust, clogged carbs, destroyed air box from rodents. Sucky part is I could only work on it every couple months when we visited the in laws on the weekend.
    First step was to remove all in-needed stuff from the body (fairing and what not). Second step was to get it started. After reading up on carbs, I pulled me off and took off the float bowls to find what looked like someone had puked in the carbs. I found an article suggesting boiling the entire assembly in lemon juice. The acid in the lemon juice broke down all the gunk and they came out clean. Put them back together and back on the bike and finally got the bike started.
    From there I added clubman bars, bar end mirrors, pod filters, upped the jets, and cut off the rusted exhaust to make it open headers.

Fast forward a few years and now I finally have me own garage and can finish this project.

What I have left:
    Rebuild brake master cylinder and brake caliper
    Fix minor wiring issues
    Purchase carpy 4-1 exhaust
    Cafe seat
    Build seat pan
    Paint
    New signals
    Move electronics and battery under seat

If I can find the time I should have it legally on the road by spring.
  • Here's some of the ideas I'm shooting for.
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
  • I bet it will have no TQ and burn oil... after all it is a honda! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • Ben" said:
    I bet it will have no TQ and burn oil... after all it is a honda! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Yeah, I should probably sell it for a Nissan motorcycle. . And build a Nismo Cafe Racer!
  • Ben" said:
    I bet it will have no TQ and burn oil... after all it is a honda! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Or extend the frame and get an SR20 and have the first ever SR20 swap in a motorcycle!
  • That would be bad ass!
  • looking good!
  • Mike B" said:
    [quote="Ben"]I bet it will have no TQ and burn oil... after all it is a honda! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Or extend the frame and get an SR20 and have the first ever SR20 swap in a motorcycle![/quote]

is that like the cafe version of a boss hoss? lol
  • Any updates for this beast?
  • Finally got some time to start working on this again. Just got sll new front brake stuff (stainless lines, new master cylinder, and rebuilt caliper with new ebc pads.also picked up a dime city cycles cafe seat.

Im also looking to build a 4-1 exhaust on the cheap without having to spend the $300+ for a new one. So picked up a 4-1 header off newer 600 CBR to modify and fit to my exhaust. ill get more pics as it comes along soon.
  • Sounds great Mikey!
  • A few updates.
    Seat mounted and side mounted the brake light/license plate mounted.
    20140627_091624-1.jpg
    872 x 720 - 517K
    Cb550 cafe rear.jpg
    538 x 791 - 359K
    Cb550 cafe rear angle.jpg
    781 x 665 - 481K
    20140627_091338.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 494K
    20140627_091500-1.jpg
    904 x 720 - 513K
  • Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics..
    Need to build seat pan, pad, and cover for seat then wire/mount new turn signals next. Then start working on modifying the cbr header to work on the cb550. Little by little finally getting this bike done..
  • Cbr header sounds pretty gnarly a lot of modifying involved?