Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

'07 Charger R/T - The 12 Second, 20+mpg DD

So I bought this car back in April of 2012 with the intention of having a car that I wouldn't squander money away on aftermarket parts and didn't need constant attention. Oops. In this thread, I'll chronicle all the money I've managed to waste on it while my '72 Charger sits in my dad's pole building getting none of the attention it should.

Here's a picture of the car the day I bought it:

Comments

• I got used to the power of the car too quick shortly after I bought it, so I picked up an AFE intake, Diablosport Predator tuner, and some resonator deletes. Good enough for awhile, but eventually, not good enough...
  • I got sick of just having resonator deletes, so the car ended up with an SLP Loudmouth II catback on it (for awhile...).

• This picture is after the drive back from a test and tune I went to in Brainerd. I filled up and calculated mileage when I got back into Two Harbors and I actually get 28.6mpg.

I believe that time out was just with the Predator tuner, resonator deletes, and the AFE intake so it was still posting 14 second 1/4s at that time, but still, 350 horse 2+ ton car getting nearly 30mpg, yes please.

• On the street tires (horrible 20" Goodyears) and with just the Predator tuner, the SLP exhaust, and the AFE intake, I was able to get it well into the 13s at Cedar Falls Raceway in Cedar Falls, Iowa. 13.73 @ 100 to be exact. That was back in October of 2012.
  • oodood
    edited September 2014
    After a few outings on the street tires, I got sick of spinning so I picked myself up some spare wheels with M&H Racemasters for the front, and Mustang Cobra wheels with Hoosier drag radials for the rear. By no means is this setup attractive, but it did help me knock nearly three tenths off my ET. At this point, I was running this tire setup, the Predator, SLP, and AFE to the tune of 13.45 @ 102.98, which was achieved again at Cedar Falls Raceway, but in September of 2013.

• Fast forward to January of 2014. A shop in Maple Grove, MN called Ravenworks reached out to a Twin Cities-based LX (LX = Modern RWD Mopar chassis code) car club I'm part of looking for someone with a pre-'09 Hemi for them to R&D a set of heads and a custom grind cam. Long story short, they ended up with my car, and I ended up with a screamin' deal on a few more HP in the form of ported heads, a custom ground cam, and a Porter Mufflers stainless catback system.

• Here is a video of how it sounds at idle with the Ravenworks heads/cam package and the Porter exhaust system:

• With the fresh cam and heads, I headed down to Brainerd for one of their Wednesday night drags. To my dismay, I only picked up just over two tenths in the 1/4. Looking at my 60' times though, where I lost about 1.5 tenths over my previous best, it was obvious I needed to get my higher stall Paramount torque converter installed asap. As of today, 9/3/14, the best run for the car is 13.23 @ 107. Once I get the converter installed and get the 60' back down to where it should be, I should easily see 12s, and the car still pulls well over 20mpg on the highway, hence the thread title.
  • The car was also (two) tons of fun on the road course for Powercruise weekend. With how much car this thing is, it's still fairly enjoyable on a road course.

• Another recent addition that's also definitely worth mentioning:

• I've had a set of coilovers laying around for the car for about four months now, so I decided this past weekend, it was finally time to put those things to use. The install actually went a lot smoother than I though it would, making me wish I would have had them done before Powercruise.

Here is a before and after pic of the coilover install. I dropped it down to roughly 1.75" below stock height.

• Here are just a few random pictures from the last few days.

• oodood
    edited September 2014
    I guess in my previous posts, I never went through a complete rundown of what's done to the car, so here's what's currently installed:

AFE intake
    185* thermostat
    Diablosport Trinity (touchscreen, and much quicker than the old Predator)
    Ravenworks ported heads (Ferrea valves, PAC springs, bronze guides)
    Ravenworks "street profile" custom ground cam
    ARP head studs
    Smith Bros. 6.1 pushrods
    Mopar non-MDS lifters
    6.1 headers
    6.1 midpipes
    Porter Mufflers stainless catback exhaust
    Street Edge coilovers
    Bunch of Billet Technology trinkets (catch can, shifter plate, shift knob, door sill plates, door lock pins, park lockout mechanism)

Coming soon:

Paramount Dominator torque converter
    SRT8 rearend (driveshaft, gears, axles, hubs)
  • That's kick ass I didn't realize how much you had into that car. My buddy has an srt8 jeep and almost talked me into a srt8 charger I just couldn't stomach the payment. I really like what you've done with this car. Like I said before I come from a serious mopar family and it's still a big part of me but I'm at a point where bang for buck is the only way I'm going to go fast. After losing my ass on my neon I realized I needed to do something different.