Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

'01 Celica GT vert

edited November 2014 in Rides
When the little 1.6 in my old Celica popped a month or so ago, knowing that I had a lot of good suspension and brake parts in it, I looked for a cheap Celica fixer-upper to replace it. And sure enough, a '91 GT 5-speed, Convertible (a lot of bullet points in both the "pro" and "con" lists there....) was on craigslist in Grand Marais.

Guy bought it just last spring, and wandered off the road (I suspect into a median/curb) and absolutely destroyed everything in the driver's front wheel well. He brought it to a "mechanic" who must have quoted him several thousand dollars to repair, so the guy signed it over to the "mechanic" who then listed it for sale. Long story short, I never actually talked to the guy who owned it, and the "mechanic" didn't know much about the car other than the damage to the front corner.

So, I rented a tow dolly, and hitched up the minivan:

I actually ordered a junkyard control arm from ebay, and some poly bushings for it, before I even picked up the car. So, I had a bunch of good-condition parts from the '92, as well as a bunch of new parts from work (inner and outer tie rod, rack boot, ball joint, cv axle), ready to install when the car arrived.

Old v New control arms:

Less than 24 hours after picking up that busted up car:

And....most of my collection of japanese 2-doors (Would have been better if the Brat could have made an appearance)

Those pictures were taken a few weeks ago. Since then, I've swapped over the rear suspension/brakes (GR2s, coilover sleeves, stiffer springs, disc brakes, poly bushings, 15mm spacers so I can run Subaru wheels), gotten an alignment, and put those big Blizzak Revo1s on it. It drives fantastic, still has a few issues, but nothing I can't deal with. I've got about $1500 invested into this chassis (not counting the parts off the old car....), so I'm pretty happy with it. 155k miles, almost no rust (I suspect it was someones summer/weekend toy for much of it's life). The top will probably need replacing in the next couple years, but it's not too bad. Doesn't leak, and it doesn't seem much colder than the hardtop...

Comments

• Oops.....title should say '91.

205/50r16 Hakka Qs on '03 Outback wheels:
  • I found the convertible thread... Hakkas on a convertible is just amazing!
  • Please tell me this is your winter beater!
  • I don't want to call it a beater....but it is my Daily.
  • Pretty fly whip man, have you had the top down yet?
  • S51 Camry transmission installed as of today. So I put the summer wheels on, washed, it, and went for a little drive

• Baller status
  • That car is quintessential 90s
  • Research has begun on a turbo setup. Most likely stock exhaust manifold/CT26 turbo from a Celica Alltrac, Megasquirt II modded for fully sequential injection, onboard MAP, and boost control, AWIC, Zeitronix, etc. etc.

Need to figure out some sort of chassis bracing though.....I can already feel things flexing
  • So the chassis is flexing under hard cornering?
  • Yea. If you really watch for it, you can feel the steering wheel and see the rear view mirror move slightly in relation to the seat. I need to pull the side skirts off and check the condition of the rockers, and see if I can come up with a plan to repair any rust that may be hiding, and reinforce things.
  • I just stumbled across this little app.....
    http://www.blessedmemories.net/Palm/PalmLog.htm

Allows Real-time monitoring and datalogging of the Megasquirt from any PalmOS deivce, logs can then be transferred to a computer. It just happens I have a couple of Palm devices. I'll have to get a Serial data cable to use it, but that's not too bad.

With that I think I'm going to skip the Zeitronix, and just get a normal Wideband controller (might try another Innovate....I was really unimpressed with the customer service with my faulty one, but I LOVE that gauge....)
  • Like a Palm Pilot kind of device? I'm not familiar with those.
    That sounds super slick, is it done with Bluetooth?
  • Why aren't you using the g2? Or buying my g3?
  • Jake;3381" said:
    Like a Palm Pilot kind of device? I'm not familiar with those.
    That sounds super slick, is it done with Bluetooth?
    Yep. I have an old Handspring Visor and a Sony Clie in a box in the basement. The Megasquirt unit has a standard 9-pin Serial connection, so you just get a serial sync cable for your device (ones with a 12v power adapter built in exist for the Sony), plug it in, load the app, and you're good. Not wireless, but it's only purpose will be datalogging, so a semi-permanent installation is fine.

Actually, for fairly cheap, you can get GPS receivers that can plug into a PalmOS device and turn it into a GPS. No easy way to switch between the 2, but still might be handy.
    Grayguy;3383" said:
    Why aren't you using the g2? Or buying my g3?
    Most standalones can be calibrated for different Trigger wheel setups (Crank/Cam sensors), the G2s cannot, mine was designed for Subarus, and will only recognize Subaru signals (probably only through ~2001, too. I know at least the EJ205 had a different cam trigger than the older engines).

The MSII is a more powerful controller than the LEM G3, specifically when it comes to injection. The LEM only has 2 injection drives (and I think 2 ignition), meaning you have to run batch fire/wasted spark. With the Megasquirt, I will be able to run fully sequential in both.