Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

'92 Toyota Celica

edited February 2013 in Rides
This has been my daily driver for 2.5 years now. Most I've ever spent on a car ($1850), and longest I've ever relied on one as my DD....

It's an ST....so 1.6l 4AFE, power nothing, and an automatic

How it arrived:

Immediately made a trip to Upull, and voila....Cruise!

Wheel spacer for the rear for the Subaru wheels:

205/65r15 Blizzak Revo1s:

Light bar:

We used it as a chase vehicle for the Ice shakedown of the new rally car last winter:

Video, all chase shots taken from my Celica:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... A5NHVY62t4

Took it to 100 Acre Wood rally last February in Missouri. When I left Duluth, Temps were around freezing with dry roads here, and in the 50s and 60s in Missouri, so I switched to all seasons. On the trip back, there was freezing rain, so I borrowed some Blizzak WS70s on OZ racing wheels from the rally car for the drive home. Sweet look!!

One of the rear struts finally let loose on that trip. So...suspension. KYB GR2/Excel Gs all around. And I wanted a slightly stiffer, and taller spring in the back, so I bought some 175 lb/in springs, and used a pair of the Ground-Control sleeves I had on my Loyale.....

Much better ride height

New radiator last summer:

Trailer hitch:

Being used:

Comments

• February 2013, I made the trek down to Missouri for 100 Acre Wood Rally again, and while pounding through the "mountains" down there, I noticed there was something goofy with the handling. Over the next month or so, it got continuously worse, until it was finally noticeable as play in the rear suspension. A "bushing" (they're actually spherical bearings) in one of the lateral links had failed, so the toe on the passenger rear wheel was changing......randomly.

I started researching this fix. The spherical bearings are not designed to be replaced, so the only way to do it is buy a whole new arm from Toyota....for about $200ea. Then came the dilemma....fix just the failed one? Or replace them all.

Through some research, I discovered that 6th Gen Celicas ('94-99) use regular bushings, and have a better to adjustment in them. And....are swappable. I decided that this was a good time for the much-needed rear disc swap as well. So I started the search. Finally, a '94 GT popped up in Upull, and I happened to be in the cities. So my dad and I went down there, and.....

Thanks to Jake and Shaun for blasting the backing plates:

painted:

Moar paint (All POR15, btw):

Poly bushings in the arms, and beginning reassembly:

Installation on the car:

The old arms used cammed bolts to adjust the toe, where the new ones had an adjustment in the middle. So I needed to lock down the old adjustment. Some 14mm Fender washers, ground down on the sides to match the diameter of the old washers:

One side installed:

I swapped the summer wheels on it today, and took some pictures of the final product:

• Looking very nice. Those are such great cars!
  • Well...as many of you now know. It's dead. Rusty oil pan led to spun #1 rod bearing and badly deformed rod. Probably rebuildable, but the insane amount of rust on this chassis....so not worth it.

Goodbye you rusty bastard:

Control arm rust....I've been concerned about this for awhile:

• Where's the convertible build?